Tag: mary poppins
Disney has officially announced that its sequel to Mary Poppins is scheduled to release on Christmas day of 2018.
The film will star Emily Blunt, as Mary Poppins, and Lin-Manuel Miranda from Broadway’s hit show Hamilton.
The film will be directed by Rob Marshall and the music will be scored by Tony-winners Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman who have a tall order of hitting the standards of The Sherman Brothers, who wrote the music for the original Mary Poppins among many other Disney classics.
With more than 2 years until release, there is little else known about the film at this time so keep checking back for updates!
On top of the existing news that Disney would be bringing some more of their classic animated films to life, like Peter Pan, the studio has announced plans for 9 new films!
- Cruella – Featuring Emma Stone as the leading villain from 101 Dalmatians.
- A Wrinkle In Time – Which will be based on the 1962 novel and will involve Frozen’s Jennifer Lee as script supervisor.
- Jungle Cruise – Featuring Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, here’s to hoping for bad puns!
- Dumbo – Directed by Tim Burton.
- Mary Poppins sequel – Directed by Rob Marshall and starring Emily Blunt.
- Maleficent 2 – Angelina Jolie will return to reprise her role as one of Disney’s greatest villains.
- The Nutcracker and the Four Realms – Directed by Lasse Hallstrom, this holiday tale will be brought to life in Disney fashion.
- The Jungle Book 2 – Jon Favreau returns to direct and expand upon the events of the box office hit, The Jungle Book.
- Tinker Bell (title not final) – Starring Reese Witherspoon and written by Finding Dory writer, Victoria Strouse.
Beginning this Friday, “Mary Poppins” fans will have the chance to sing along to a showing of the film at the El Capitan Theater in Hollywood, CA.
From January 10th through 26th, “Mary Poppins” will light up the silver screen as part of a limited engagement. In common El Capitan fashion, Disney urges audience involvement with the films they show whether it’s bringing in your tablet to enjoy facts and quizzes throughout the film or by getting fans to sing along with the music.
Also, if you’re able to attend the first showing on January 10th at 7:45PM, Disney will be welcoming special guest Richard Sherman!
Richard Sherman and his brother are most known for the music they wrote for the Disney classics “Mary Poppins” and “The Jungle Book” so to see him in person is a huge treat for any Disney fan.
Richard Sherman was recently portrayed by Jason Schwartzman in the Disney film “Saving Mr. Banks”.
Celebrating the 50th anniversary, “Mary Poppins” is set to be released from the Disney Vault just in time for the holidays!
The classic Disney film will be released on December 10, just 10 days prior to “Saving Mr. Banks” which tells the story of Walt Disney’s attempt to acquire the rights to the Mary Poppin’s story.